Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Help me decorate my kitchen! honey-colored wood floor, exposed brick, want to paint cabinets- help!?

Hi. I need help thinking of color schemes for my new kitchen. There's one wall of exposed red brick along the side, older wood cabinets that I'd like to paint, a cream colored countertop, and a honey-colored wood floor. What a mess, right?! Any thoughts? I've thought about painting the brick and the cabinets a neutral cream-color and then accenting with one color to pull it all together, but I don't know if I want to cover the brick, it adds so much character. Eventually, I'll replace the cabinets with something more my style......Help me decorate my kitchen! honey-colored wood floor, exposed brick, want to paint cabinets- help!?
Paint your units in a coffee or cream colour %26amp; change the handles for nice decorative brass ones, have you seen the knife, fork %26amp; spoon shape, they will add an unusual touch. I definitely would not cover or paint the wall, left bare will add character %26amp; enhance the floor covering! Enjoy your new kitchen!!Help me decorate my kitchen! honey-colored wood floor, exposed brick, want to paint cabinets- help!?
ohh that sound like a coffee house basics!


try doing a java theme! get like those little cups like JAVA scripting does and put a brick color around your boarder or frames maybe large ones painted on the cabinets I would maintian the colors you have they sound wonderful! but maybe look for a richer colors to accent the cream better!


The brick is soo awsome why would youwant to cover it!


if you do put up a curtain rod and get long long almost see through curtains that go to the floor or almost to the floor and that should hide the brick!


or not make it so in your face and it will soften up your kitchen a bit!
Hi, I didn't know we lived together, I never see you around! I have the same kitchen, and if you can stain the cabinets, use Golden Oak. Or they sell just the Doors for Cabinets. You could get those in Golden Oak.If neither one of those are not possible, Get a sample of the stain, Golden Oak, and have the paint person match the color for you. That color goes real well with the floor, and brick. I only have brick on one wall, I painted the other three walls a very,very faint green. It looks great together. Bye
I would stripe and restain the cabinets to match the honey-colored floor. Leave the bricks, once painted your stuck. It pretty much impossible to remove it you hate it. I would paint your ceiling white and any other paint able surface (a plain wall) a bright color and accent with bright colors. You could paint your cabinets a light color, but you pretty much have to stripe all the finish off because grease and dirt build up that you can't see but will cause the finish to be blemished.
Congrats on your new home! I am not big on brick inside the house unless they are softer looking antique bricks. Just my personal opinion, though. I'd paint them the same color as the walls, not the cabinets, a color that will contrast with the floor and counter tops, really make your hardwood floor stand out. I generally use the Benjamin Moore historic colors. You could do a sage, like the Ben Moore color HC-11. You can also have the paint store lighten the color by adding 25% white to any color you like but think is too dark. That color would be nice with the floor and the cream counters. So would a darker yellow/gold. I had my cabinets painted by a professional as it is best to sand them or use sandband so that the paint adheres well over the previous finish. Really look at the choice of finishes available and see if you want the cabinets a gloss or a satin finish. I prefer a satin that is not too shiny but most people just paint gloss with out giving it a lot of thought. However, a high gloss cabinet might be nice against the rough finish of the bricks. There are also lots of great pulls for the drawers and cabinets available now that would add character to your new paint job. Paint the walls first and then see how the brick looks in it's natural state before you paint it. You can always drill holes in the mortar and hang framed pictures or old collectible kitchen tools. A nice look would be pictures framed in thin black wooden frames on the brick and then some black iron handles on the cabinets. There is one that is shaped like a football but is open twisted iron. Very nice. Have fun with your project. The paint part is easy for the walls. Try out a few patches on the wall and live with it for a week or two and see how it looks in daylight and at night. How it ';lives';. Some colors change a lot with the time of day. Good luck and I hope you have a happy life in your new home!
1] don't paint the bricks - they really do add character!


instead, paint the cabinets to match the counter, or re-finish to match the floor.


2] then paint the wall one of your favorite shades - not too dark, or too bright. Consider:


dusty rose


peach


custard yellow


sage green


aqua


sky blue


lavender..., or


3] use a favorite decorative or kitchen item to inspire you - a pitcher, set of canisters, ceramic bowl, etc. Use one of the colors from them to paint the walls.


4] add a valence or curtains, some matching placemats, some potted plants, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment